Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Our Getting Ready for Christmas Adventures!

So this year we decided to get a tree just for Baylee to decorate and the crazy momma that I am thought oh it would be a blast to make all of the ornaments for it!!  Some of the days I was thinking “What the heck am I doing!” but for the most part it was fun and Baylee really enjoyed it and that was the whole purpose.  We started the adventure out by borrowing an air pop popcorn popper.  Baylee had never seen popcorn made any way other then the microwave that I know of and she was really interested in how this thing worked and thought it was great when the popcorn came popping out.  After we popped as much as I figured we would need for our popcorn garland we let it sit out for a few days to make it easier to string.
DSC02304
While we waited for the popcorn to be ready we worked on the star for the top, I was so busy helping with this project that I didn’t get any pictures of us making it but here is a picture of the finished project, It was fun to see Baylee be creative with it. She was so proud of her star she couldn’t wait to put it on her tree.DSC02306
After a few days we began work on the popcorn garland,  I have never strung popcorn so I didn’t know what to expect but it was a lot of work but fun in its' own sort of way.  Baylee really loved to do it and was really good at it. Every piece she did she would remind me that she was not going to poke herself so that I wouldn’t worry. 
DSC02311
Next we had to move on to the ornaments.  I had big plans for this, we cut up oranges, limes,lemons, and apples and put them in the dehydrated to let them dry our, well only the oranges really turned out all that great, I think I will try grapefruit another time.  Then I found a recipe on line using Applesauce, cinnamon, and allspice to make ornaments.  It was kind of messy but smelt so yummy when cooking.  Baylee and Grace got to help with the cutting out part and thought that it was fun.  After they sat out and were dry all the way Baylee and I spent fHE putting the finishing touches on them with lots of glitter.  Baylee loves anything that sparkles and had so much fun sprinkling glitter all over.  I am sure that I will be finding glitter for months to come all over this house.
I tried to squeeze each of these activities into times that Abi was asleep but she did get in on the decorating part.
DSC02407
The Final Product!!!!
DSC02410
That smile made all the work wiorth it and I can’t wait to keep up this tradition with both girls as they grow.  It will be so fun to come up with new ideas for decorations that we can make! (we do have a real and much bigger tree that Jon and I decorated this one is just for Baylee)

No comments:

Post a Comment