Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Being a mommy is hard...

But so worth it! There are times where I think "what did I get myself into"  and then there are those moments where I can't believe how lucky I am!  This last week I have been reminded of the wonderful moments of motherhood.  These reminders came in a way that surprised me.  Some of my favorite moments with my children this week have not taken place during the daylight hours but rather during those sleepless nights. 

The first moment was with my Sweet Baylee(I can't say enough times how much I love this girl).  Baylee is our little sleep talker ok maybe I shouldn't say little but huge sleep talker.  Every night you can here her in her room sound asleep having a conversation with who knows who.  Randomly she will yell out in her sleep.  Most of the time I can tell when she is sleep talking or if she is needing me but occasionally she will yell out and sound so scared that I get up to check on her only to find her asleep.  The other night she yelled out and I thought oh she is still asleep but she continues to cry so I got up to check on her. When I entered her room she patted a spot on her bed and said "mommy I need you for a min." Not very often will I lay next to her in bed but this night I felt it was so important for her.  As I laid next to her she rubbed my face with the biggest smile on her face and went to sleep.  Well last night once again she yelled out and I got up to check on her she looked asleep so I leaned in to kiss her forehead and cover her back up when she wrapped her little arms around me and pulled me into a hug and whispered "mommy I saw him" When asked who she said "Heavenly Father".  I asked her why this scared her and she said because I was sleeping.  Then she hugged me tight and said she loved me.  Those little moments that I get to see Baylee in her most sweetest forms, where we are not arguing over her doing something she has been asked to do, or her dancing all over the place she wont even pause for a hug are the rewards of having to sometimes get up several times a night with my little sleep talker.  It makes being tired worth it.

Last night I also had a moment with Abigail.  Abi is our sleeper, she has been a great sleeper from the start and I am so thankful for that.  I am not good with the loss of sleep.  Abi is also not a baby that enjoys to be cuddled, she wants to be left to play and explore the world.  When she is tired she gets angry if you try to hold her and put her to sleep she would rather you lay her in her crib and let her just go to sleep.  I am thankful for this but at moments I would love to just cuddle her.  Well the past couples days she has not been sleeping well and only wants to be cuddled so I know she is not feeling well. The only way to get her to stop fussing is to hold her.  She then will go to sleep for about 20 mins. before having to start the process all over again.  Last night after having to get up with her for about the 15th time I was tired, cranky and really just wanted to get some sleep I was in her dark room holding her when she reached up and felt my face and then grabbed a hold of my finger and fell asleep.  As I watched her sleeping in my arms I was filled with the warmth of love.  How could I not love getting up during the night to enjoy this moment that I would not get other wise. 

These little moments that happen in the middle of the night when everyone else is asleep are the moments that make being a mom worth it!  How could I not feel so lucky when I am the only one who will ever get to enjoy those moments with my girls.  No one else gets to feel that love that passes between me and my girls in the dark of the night when I go to comfort a bad dream or help when they are not feeling well.  I love being a mommy and am so thankful to all those who have made that possible for me. 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Caylee!! LOVED every bit of it! Motherhood is the most difficult but also the most rewarding! Thanks for sharing your special moments with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad I read this. I needed it! I was just about to complain about how little sleep I've been getting lately. Enoch used to sleep through the night, then he started waking up multiple times. Then we were able to transition him to the crib and he started sleeping through the night again. Now he's back to waking up a lot in the night and has been doing so for weeks and I feel like I'm about to lose my sanity from lack of sleep. I wake up each morning with a terrible headache because I haven't gotten a good night's rest for so long. And so it's really hard to be happy and positive. But then I read your post here and it has changed my perspective and helped me realize I need to change my attitude and look for the positive in this. I need to find joy in my journey! Thanks Caylee for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete